Wednesday, May 25, 2011

a shout-out to Eatonville, WA....

To my very Best,
did i mention i'm missin' you somethin' fierce?
well i meant to.
now that we have that out of the way, let me just brag about you to the entire planet.

James G. Dyer is my number one best friend.
I do NOT mean any disrespect to my other bffs. i have several and they all definitely count, but if you were to ask, he's the one holding the gold medal.
we're peas in a pod, he and i. not necessarily from the same pod, but we're crunched into one together now.
he's been keeping me afloat for four years now.

how we met:
i got hired on at Cold Stone Creamery in Logan, UT on May 9, 2007.
sometime that week, i went in to check the schedule. i was paranoid i'd get fired for forgetting when i was to be trained.
the day i went in, i just happened to be wearing a dress and heels. my hair was long and curly. i looked gorgeous.
as i started to walk into the back, i heard, "excuse me, you can't go back there."
i whipped around, locked eyes with my arch-nemesis and retorted, "Excuse YOU. I work here."
he was stunned, so i took that as my cue to walk back and accomplish my mission.

after that, i was crushing big time. i followed him everywhere. i suppose you could go as far as to say that i stalked him. he didn't seem to like me that much. i guess you could say he was a little cautious and perhaps fearful of the savage hobbit who walked into his life that day.

that summer i was raped by a guy i didn't know.
i didn't tell anyone at first, not anyone at Cold Stone at least.
sometime shortly after, i bought a cabbage patch kid because i couldn't sleep and needed some comfort.
one night, it was raining and raining and wouldn't stop. my mind was elsewhere, and i had forgotten to turn off my headlights. my car was dead, and because i'm an emotional creature, i couldn't stop crying. James was there. he just hugged me. i'd told him only a few days before what had happened, and he was such a champ. without hesitating, he stepped up to the plate, as he's done thousands of times since.

whether i'm being good or bad, happy or dinosaur, he's got my back.
though sometimes we're separated by a lot of distance, he's always nearby. in fact, he and i have secret Best Friend bracelets. besides the story i tell everyone, there's the story of he and i.

he's everything that i'm not. he's kind. always. he's patient. i've never seen him mad.
he doesn't swear. only Hell, and that's only usually talking about the place.
he's tall. and i'm small. hobbit-style.
he's skinny. i'm...not?
he thinks things through. i jump in kicking and screaming and ask questions afterwards.
he goes to bed at decent hours and wakes up at decent hours. i'm up forever and sleep all day.
he depends on me for good music. i count on him to pull me out of my messes.

he keeps me good, (or tries to anyways!) and i keep him laughing and surprised.

so, you're all invited to our wedding. it's in just...six years. when he turns 30.

i love you, Humpfrey! :) call me soon, capeshe? boy, i will cut you...don't ina-rupt. roo.

1 comment:

  1. So I was just doing a little pre-bed reading and I read the "shout out" post for like the hundredth time and realized that I never responded...at least in a formal comment sort of way, I hope you know I love you too Grace and miss you lots. I hope you are doing ok and that the "oh you know" days get less and less frequent and the genuine good days come in more abundance. I Je taime you beaucoup beaucoup des choses!!!

    ReplyDelete