Monday, February 22, 2010

a tribute to my favorite human...


i've been contemplating how to write this for quite awhile, thus i haven't updated my blog for quite some time. a couple weeks ago i promised my bff/adopted brother Brandon that i'd write my next blog about him.

i failed and wrote one Not about him. so here goes, just a little late.

i met Brandon the very Larsen within a few days of being at SUU.
i'm on the housing committee; he's an RA.
we went to the same barbecue.
he told the story of his first kiss.
it was...awkward. but funny.
so i laughed. great first encounter, i'd say!

my first best friend at SUU was a different boy, Taylor, who is also an RA. i spent a lot of time with him, so consequently, i spent a lot of time with a lot of the RA's. My favorite thing was Brandon's laugh. it's the kind of laugh that just makes everyone else laugh too.

and he can wiggle his ears!

occasional laughter and jokes (have you heard the one about the Mormon Tap An Apple Choir?) led to an unlikely friendship. you see, brandon's way cool. basically the most popular guy on campus. and i'm somewhat of a loser...so it's a wonder he even stopped to talk to me!

how did we even end up being close friend?

oh yes...i remember!

i was having some friend issues with other people and he was just around. we ended up talking and he got me through one of the roughest weeks of my life. without him talking me through it, i probably would have given up.

after that, i saw him a lot. we have this bad habit of meeting at the most ungodly hours. it usually results in the following day being a grumpy-i mean, cranky-day. but it works for us.

whether we're making shoes, editing papers, or just talking about my man drama, i know i've found a forever friend.

actually, i've found another brother.

brandon's the type of guy you can call at three in the morning and he'll just be there, no questions asked.

at the beginning of the year, he did and said some things that changed my life forever. he asked me why i was so negative about life and the situations i'd been dealt. at the time, i reasoned, "my life's been hell. i have every reason to give up. i have every reason not to trust people, to block them out."

but he made me think.

and as i thought, i couldn't help but compare my life to his...

he's been through Hell too, just like me. and yet, he smiles every day. he cheers people up, and he's positive most of the time. i say most of the time because even he, Brandon the Great, has some bad days.

the best thing about brandon isn't that he's cool. or that he's going to be a music teacher. or that he's positive. it's that he's humble. if you were to ask him, he wouldn't ever in a million years fess up to being the greatest human ever. he thinks he's just an average guy.

well, i know he's an extraordinary guy.

he's one of the most uncredible guys i've had the privilege to meet and befriend. there's an air about brandon that just makes you want to sit down and listen to what he has to say. or not say. some of the most great advice i've gotten from brandon wasn't ever even verbalized. he never tells me what to do. he gives me options and let's me decide.

he wants to be a music teacher. he wants to change lives.
well, he'll be great at it. he already is.

he's changed my life.

without brandon, i wouldn't be the jaycie i am today. i wouldn't smile as much. i wouldn't be positive and hopeful about life.

because of brandon, i have hope again. he taught me how to trust, how to love, how to let people in. i owe him so much more than he even realizes. it's my hope that everyone can have an adopted big brother as great as mine! :)

never forget how much you're loved and how much of an impact you've had on my life.

Brandon the very Larsen, do you know how much I love you? i hope you do.
i hope it's something you see in my smile and hear in my laugh.
and in like...sixty or seventy years, when you're old and wrinkly
and i'm as hot as ever, i hope you'll still be my bff.

i love you! forever and ever!
your sorta sister,

jayc

No comments:

Post a Comment